Background

February 5, 2011

.:How I Saved Almost $50 in Groceries

A few weeks ago, I saw this show on TLC called "Extreme Couponing". In this particular episode, two women went grocery shopping, their bill was more or less in the $500's and after using coupons, the bill went all the way down to some where around $6 or so! Crazy huh? I didn't think it could be possible, so I decided to try it out myself, and see how much I could save!


I did some extensive research on the internet, found sales, clipped and ordered coupons, made a spreadsheet to stay organized, and got myself out to the stores. Unfortunately, none of the grocery stores in the area double or triple coupons (which would have enabled me to save more), but I still saved a crazy amount of money for the things that I bought.





Target
French’s Spicy Mustard $.25 each
Bird’s Eye Frozen Veggies $.66 each
Vaseline Lotion $.99 each
Up&Up Pantiliners $.39
Wheat Thins $1.00 each
Kellog’s Crunchy Nut Cereal $.25 each
Kraft Shredded Cheese $.87 each
Total BEFORE coupons: $26.87
Total AFTER coupons: $9.62!!!
Total savings of $17.25

Wal-Mart
Snuggle Dryer Sheets $.87 each
Dove Deodorant $.47 each
Carefree Pantiliners $.44
Williams Taco Seasoning $.31 each
Jello Pudding Mixes $.49 each
Huggies Wipes $.47
Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste $1.77
Clearasil Face Wash $1.67
Kraft Sandwich Shop Mayo $.75
Kikkoman’s Soy Sauce $.42 each
Louisiana Hot Sauce $.44 each
Total BEFORE coupons $50.79
Total AFTER coupons $20.62!!!
Total savings of $30.17

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how much I had saved at each store! You can do it too with just some time, organization, and dedication!

The two main websites I used to find deals with coupons were: Money Saving Mom and Common Sense with Money. I started getting the Sunday paper to use the coupon inserts that come with them. I also used Coupons and Things by Dede to order multiple coupons, and coupons that I didn't have on hand from past inserts.

If you're interested in knowing more, or need some direction on how to start, email me!

No comments: